GUYANA: Tailor-made holidays
Guyana holidays may not be the most publicised destination for South America, but nature lovers, adventure seekers and eco-tourists, may like to consider travelling here for its breath-taking natural beauty and amazing wildlife. Holidays in Guyana start in Georgetown, the picturesque capital, with tree-lined avenues and white-painted wooden 19th- century houses raised on stilts, reminisces of the past. The interiors have thinly populated villages and towns set amidst thick rainforest where Jaguars roam and the unearthly cries of troupes of howler monkeys echo through the trees. Highlights include Kaieteur Falls – almost five times the height of Niagara - the inspiration for Conan Doyle's Lost World.
- Take a community-based eco-tour to see Amerindian villages and discover the rainforest
- In the Amazonian interiors see Kaieteur Falls, the world's highest single-drop waterfall
- Explore astounding wildlife: giant anteaters, sea-turtles, giant river otters, jaguars
- Visit the remote Kanuku Mountains to meet local cowboys or track the harpy eagles
- Enjoy outdoor activities from horse riding, white-water rafting and hiking to camping.